Homemade apple crumble is the ultimate dessert to follow a hearty roast dinner on a Sunday. The humble pud is wholesome, comforting and absolutely delicious.
Whether you like yours smothered in hot custard, silky cream or vanilla ice cream, Instagram foodie @cakeontherun has given the traditional dessert a healthy twist by using oats instead of flour for the crumble topping. Full of fiber and a great source of important vitamins and minerals, the easy swap will not hamper the scrumptious taste many of us adore at the end of each week.
Known for her super quick and easy recipes, @cakeontherun ‘s all-in-one method could not be simpler, making it perfect for anyone who needs to whip up a family pud in a hurry. Plus she likes to use pre-cooked apple from a jar or a can to make the dessert even more convenient.
READ MORE: The yummy and healthy rhubarb crumble recipe made in a bowl in 3 minutes
Her recipe however can be made using any fruit may it be berries, plums or rhubarb. The crumble topping is vegan friendly as it contains margarine rather than butter (check the label for milk), and she recommends serving it with plain or vanilla yoghurt to keep it healthier.
Apple crumble recipe using oats (serves 4)
- 200g oats, blended
- 75g any sugar
- 75g margarine
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 x jars of chunky apple sauce
- Pre-heat your oven to 200c/ 400fh/ gas mark 6.
- Blitz oats to a flour texture using a blender or food processor.
- Put everything (except the apple) into a bowl and mix using a spoon or your fingertips to create a fine breadcrumb texture.
- Empty the fruit into any size oven-safe dish, then top with the crumble mixture. Cook for around 25 minutes or until it’s golden on top.
- Serve hot with custard, cream, ice cream or yoghurt.
To make your crumble extra crunchy, take it out of the oven half way and use a fork to prod and grate the topping. Then pop it back in for another 15-20 minutes.
If you’re in a hurry and cooking just for one, you can make a mini apple crumble in the microwave in just 60 seconds. RECIPE HERE.
Fantastic fruit crumble flavor combinations:
- Apple and cinnamon
- Apple and blackberry
- Rhubarb and ginger
- Pear and raspberry
- Apple, sultana and mixed spice
- Apricot and almond
- Toffee apple